Almabase – Customer Success Manager
Our mission is to make education affordable by helping institutions increase alumni giving. The idea started from our founders’ own struggle with the lack of scholarships when they were students. Watch this TEDx talk from Kalyan to learn more.
We are a bootstrapped company that has grown to be a leader in the alumni software space in the US. We’re slated for even faster growth on the path to becoming market leaders through a unique strategic partnership with Blackbaud (read more here & here)
Our customers are universities and high schools and in most cases, we’re working with staff in the alumni relations and fundraising office at these institutions. The value prop for them at a high level is simple – “Engage more alumni and raise more money from them”. 90%+ of our customers are from the US currently but we’re starting sales in UK and Canada this year so we’ll start to see some more customer regions this year. Our team is based in India and USA. The India team is based in Bangalore and the US team is fully remote.
- KPIs – account retention, $ expansion, product adoption, building advocates.
- Accountable for the complete post-sales customer journey. (Onboarding → Adoption → Retention → Advocacy)
- Become the trusted advisor for each of your customers and help them achieve their alumni engagement and fundraising goals. Build and maintain strong relationships with the champion and other key stakeholders.
- Collaborate with customers on solving various use cases using the Almabase product.
- Conduct regular check-ins & business reviews with your customers to ensure consistent engagement.
- Own the churn prevention and expansion process for all your accounts. Monitor at-risk customer behavior and carry out activities to retain them.
- Proactively identify opportunities for expansion and contact customers for up-sell/cross-sell.
- Identify customer insights and pain points and contribute to the product roadmap by providing active feedback to the product team.
- Collaborate with the Marketing team to build customer case studies, testimonials, and referrals.
- Accountable for training customers on using the product.
- Documenting all customer conversations and information on our CSM.
An independent Customer Support team is responsible for responding to questions that customers have while using the product. In this role as CSM, you are expected to be proactive in helping customers succeed, and that’s how the role differs from Customer Support.
Please be aware that all your customers are US universities and high schools. So you are expected to work during US hours (4 PM-2:30 AM) approximately.
- At least 2 to 3 years of work experience in a customer-facing role such as Customer Success, Customer Support, Account Management, etc. Experience working in B2B SaaS with US customers would be great.
- Excellent written and verbal business communication skills.
- Ability to communicate and foster positive business relationships.
- Strong problem-solving skills, a technical and analytical aptitude, with the ability to quickly learn and adopt technical products.
- An ability to understand a software product and its nuances very well.
- Experience with customer success software or CRM (like Hubspot) would be helpful. Hubspot is what we use.
What will a typical quarter look like?
- At the beginning of each quarter, we will work with you to come up with a set of OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) to work towards. This will help you focus.
- Renewals: You will have customers whose renewal is due in the quarter. You will identify opportunities to upsell and get them to sign a new contract. If the customer is at risk of churn you will work towards eliminating that risk. Most of our contracts are multi-year contracts so a customer comes up for renewal only once in 2 – 3 years on average.
- Engagement: For the rest of the customers, you will plan to engage them in different ways based on their goals and current product adoption. You will be identifying opportunities to cross-sell additional products that will be beneficial for them. You will conduct business reviews to help them both tactically and strategically.
- Building Advocates: Actively going through your portfolio to identify opportunities where customers can give us a G2 review, Capterra review, or video testimonial. Also to nudge customers to give us referrals, be references for prospects, help us build case studies or be an advocate for Almabase at a conference.
- Apart from all of the above account management work, you will also be involved with folk in the team or cross-functionally to improve our internal processes and help us do our day-to-day job better. Eg: come up with a playbook to drive more product adoption for a certain type of customer. These objectives help the entire function progress forward, not just your own portfolio of customers.
What will make you successful in this role?
- You need to understand the customer pain points and the market really deeply. You cannot be successful in this role without that.
- Being curious. Doing deep discovery to understand customer workflows and what they have hired Almabase for.
- You need to have a deep understanding of our product to be able to match the customer’s needs to specific parts of our product. You will often have to screen share with the customer and help them set up something specific within the product.
- You need to be disciplined and good at multitasking. Since you’ll have multiple customers in your portfolio, it’s very easy to get overwhelmed.
- You need to care about the customers’ problems genuinely. That authenticity will help you form better relationships with the customers, which is critical to succeeding in this role.
How will we set you up for success in this role?
- We will provide you with detailed training to give you a headstart in the world of alumni relations and educational fundraising. We’ll also talk about the competitive landscape, and provide you access to hundreds of recorded conversations with existing customers and existing collateral. You can also dive into our CRM to see all prior customer conversations.
- We will provide you an in-depth training into our product along with sandbox access to let you play around. The focus is for you to figure out how each piece helps solve a piece of the puzzle for customers.
- We will provide you with a playbook of how we manage customers currently. You are welcome to suggest improvements but it will certainly give you a headstart rather than starting from scratch.
- You will have plenty of opportunities to shadow calls where other CSMs are talking to their customers before taking your first call with a customer. We will shadow you on the first few calls to provide feedback.
- You will participate in a weekly standup with the entire customer success, onboarding, support & customer experience team to learn from each other and eliminate bottlenecks quickly. You will also have a quarterly 1:1 review with your manager to discuss your career goals and overall success, apart from regular mentoring.
- We will provide you access to the best customer success resources and add you to a few customer success communities so you can discuss with other people in similar roles – learn and teach at the same time. We’ve found that this is the fastest way to improve your skills.
- Most importantly, we will help you set up a one-one casual chat with every member of the Almabase team so you get to know everyone well.
This is what our team members enjoy the most about Almabase:
- Strong Culture: We have a culture that we’re proud of. Read more on how our team feels about the company on Glassdoor (here). When you work at Almabase you get to work with amazing people that will help you grow to become the best version of yourself.
- Transparency & Trust: An environment that trusts each individual’s ability and creativity to achieve the best outcome for the team. High levels of transparency to help you get exposure to what’s happening across the business.
- Great Salary & Equity: Along with competitive salaries, our top performers and leaders get stock options. As Almabase continues to grow, you’ll have a real opportunity to create wealth for yourself and your family.
- More than just work: One big secret to our success (shhh… this is just between us) is finding the balance between work and play. We have plenty of activities throughout the year that help build esprit de corps – whether they are intense cricket/football/basketball matches, or fun-filled music/dance/trivia/game nights.
- Food & Snacks: You’ll never have to worry about your hunger pangs. We provide tasty home-cooked food & snacks at all times of the day.
- Health insurance: We offer health insurance for you and your dependents.
- Unlimited leaves & flexible work hours: There is no ceiling to the leaves or restraint to your working hours. Our only policy is that you use your good judgment.
- The comfort of home: On a tiring day, if you want to take a break in bed or if you want to jog & take a shower at work or play your heart our on PS4, you can do it all at Almabase.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, join us for an exciting and equally fulfilling ride at Almabase!