Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) is not just a buzzword, it’s a business imperative. But how do we promote DEI in customer success? One key way is through the powerful role of allies.
But what exactly is an ally? An ally is someone who actively works to support marginalized groups, even if they do not personally identify with that group.
When it comes to DEI in customer success, allies play a critical role in creating a more inclusive and equitable environment. They can use their privilege and influence to advocate for marginalized groups and create change within the organization.
But being an ally is not just about performing “good deeds” or checking off a list of actions. It’s about committing to ongoing learning, and growth, and taking action in tangible ways.
So, how can we be effective allies in promoting DEI in customer success? Here are some tips to get you started:
- Listen and learn: Being an ally means being open to learning about different perspectives and experiences. Take the time to listen and understand the experiences of marginalized groups and how they may be impacted in the customer success process.
- Speak up and take action: Allies use their privilege and influence to advocate for marginalized groups. This can be as simple as speaking up when you witness an instance of bias or discrimination or taking action to create change within the organization.
- Hold yourself and others accountable: Being an ally is not a one-time act, it’s a commitment to ongoing learning, growth, and taking action. Hold yourself and others accountable for creating a more inclusive and equitable environment in customer success.
- Diversify your team: Having a diverse team means having different perspectives and experiences to draw from. This leads to more thoughtful and inclusive decision making, and a better understanding of the needs and wants of a diverse customer base.
- Invest in training: Regularly train your team on DEI and how to be effective allies in customer success. This helps to ensure that everyone is equipped with the knowledge and skills to create a more inclusive and equitable environment.
By implementing these tips, you’ll be on your way to promoting DEI in customer success through the powerful role of allies. Remember, creating a more inclusive and equitable environment in customer success is not only the right thing to do, but it’s also good for business. So let’s work together to make sure that all voices are heard and valued in customer success!
In conclusion, allies play a crucial role in promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in customer success. Listening, taking action, being accountable, diversifying your team, and investing in training are some of the steps that can help to be effective allies. It’s time to commit to ongoing learning, and growth, and take action to create a more inclusive and equitable environment for customer success.